How would you like to have a High-Speed Swiss VPN that safeguards your privacy 24/7?
Is Proton VPN A Scam OR is it really the MOST secure VPN network on the internet?
I’ll cut right to the chase, ProtonVPN IS Not a scam. The better question to answer is this though - Is it the most reliable for YOU?
Originally, VPN’s were used to just connect business networks together securely over the internet or allow you to access a business network from home and now it’s being used for things like watching and streaming media like Netflix and Hulu, to protect yourself from being logged while torrenting, and so many more reasons…
And while they’re still useful for protecting yourself while you’re working at the coffee shop, that’s hardly the use anymore. In this review, I “Michael Granados” will walk you through EVERYTHING you need to know about how ProtonVPN works, the pros, and the cons, alternatives, and so much more so you can protect your privacy online, sound good?
Alright, let’s get started.
What Is Proton VPN?
Proton VPN is by definition of:
“The World’s Only Community Supported Secure VPN Service”
ProtonVPN // VPN Service
In english, that means they are a Swiss-based open-source VPN service developed by the same team of CERN scientists who create ProtonMail. ProtonVPN makes it easy for you to access the internet without censorship or surveillance.
Why Use VPN?
- Security. Proton VPN will send your traffic through an encrypted VPN tunnel, so this way your passwords and confidential data stay completely safe at all times, even over public or untrusted Internet connections
- Privacy. You’ll keep your browsing history private. ProtonVPN does not log user activity or share data with third parties. Their anonymous VPN service enables the internet without surveillance.
- Freedom. ProtonVPN was created to protect journalists and activists who use ProtonMail. And ProtonVPN will break down the barriers of internet censorship, allowing you to access ANY website or content.
Now let’s go deeper.
Going Inside ProtonVPN
On the home page here’s what you’ll see:
Scroll down a little and you’ll get to see the software:
You can get a rough image of what you’ll expect to see on the inside with a cool sleek back interface that connects you to the server and is tracking through geo location. Also, here’s a video demo of that:
ProtonVPN Features And Benefits
ProtonVPN states that they are unlike any other VPN service on the fact that they were designed with security as the main focus, drawing upon the lessons they have learned from working with journalists and activists on the field.
- Secure Core.
- A regular VPN service can be easily compromised if their servers are under surveillance but with ProtonVPN they prevent this from happening by first passing user traffic through their Secure Core Network in privacy-friendly countries like Switzerland and Iceland. Thus, even a compromised VPN endpoint server will not reveal your true IP Address.
Here’s more on that:
- Strong Encryption. ProtonVPN ONLY uses the highest strength encryption to protect your internet connection. What does this mean? All your network traffic is encrypted with AES-256, key exchange is done with a 4096-bit RSA, and HMAC with SHA384 which is used for message authentication.
- Perfect Forward Secrecy.
- ProtonVPN has carefully selected their encryption cipher suites to only include the ones that have Perfect Forward Security. This means your encrypted traffic cannot and will not be captured and decrypted later if the encryption key from a subsequent session gets compromised. With every connection, ProtonVPN generates a new encryption key, so you don't ever have to worry about a key being used for more than one session!
- Strong Protocols.
- ProtonVPN only uses VPN protocols which are very well known to be secure - IKEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN. ProtonVPN does not have any servers that support PPTP and L2TP/IPSec, even though they are less costly to operate. Using ProtonVPN, you will be confident that your VPN tunnel is protected by the most reliable protocol.
- Swiss Based
- ProtonVPN is headquartered in Switzerland which has some of the world’s strongest privacy laws.
- Non-log policy
- You get a no-log VPN service so you don’t need to have your internet activity tracked which means they are unable to disclose your information to third parties.
- Tor Over VPN
- ProtonVPN also integrated with the Tor anonymity network. With a single click, you can route all your traffic through the Tor network and access Onion sites.
- FREE VPN
- Proton VPN provides you with a free version of ProtonVPN to the public. Unlike all other VPN’s out there, there are no catches. They don’t bombard you with ads or secretly sell your browsing history. This is a Free subsidized version made by ProtonVPN paid users.
- Easy To Use
- ProtonVPN has extensively simplified the ProtonVPN interface to make it as intuitive as possible for you - so you can stay protected every day, hassle-free!
- Fast VPN Speeds
- Need high-speed servers and high bandwidth? You’ll get both with ProtonVPN to ensure you get a super-fast connection speed so you don’t have to be on any downtime, keeping you on the task at hand without disruption. You can connect to ProtonVPN and continue browsing the web, streaming music, and watching videos like always
- Multi-Platform Support
- ProtonVPN is made readily and easily accessible on all your devices, including PCs, Macs, Smartphones, and even routers. Having a secure internet connection is paramount and one that you can trust is, even more, to maintain your privacy on your laptop at home, your mobile device on the road, or your workstation at the office. ProtonVPN has native apps for the likes of Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows.
- Global VPN Server Network
- ProtonVPN has hundreds of secure VPN servers all around the world, including several of the free VPN servers, and why is this important? It’ll ensure you always have a high bandwidth server nearby no matter where you are connecting from, providing a low latency VPN connection for best performance
And if you wanted to see the full server list you can click on the button inside the image right above and you’ll get this page:
By the numbers, there are:
- 54 Countries
- 1,077 servers
- 1,260 Gbps Capacity
Here are just a few of these servers in different countries:
What Are Other People Saying(ProtonVPN Reviews)
How Much Does ProtonVPN Cost?
There are four plans to choose from and you’ll get to select from how many pay periods you’d like, so let’s start off with the monthly plan:
- Free for $0/Mo
- Basic for $5/Mo
- Plus for $10/mo
- Visionary at $40/mo
For the Annual plan which you save 20% is:
- Free at $0/mo
- Basic at $4/mo
- Plus at $8/mo
- Visionary at $24/mo
For the Two-year plan which you save 33% is:
- Free for $0/mo
- Basic for $3.29/mo
- Plus for $6.63/mo
- Visionary for $19.96/mo
The annual plan is the most popular one by the way, but it depends on what you need and if you need more than going with the higher plans.
Who Is ProtonVPN For?
Proton VPN was made for the person who wants to have more security, privacy, and the freedom to break down the barriers of internet censorship and allow you to access ANY website or content.
- Beginners who want to keep their browsing history safe with a Swiss provider, and don’t want their data tracked, logged or shared with third parties.
- People want an anonymous VPN service that allows you to scour the internet without surveillance.
- People who want their passwords and confidential data safe, even over public or untrusted Internet connections at all times
- For those who don’t want to have their encrypted traffic captured and decrypted later, even if an encryption key gets compromised in the future.
- You want unlimited bandwidth
- For intermediates and experts
- People with top-secret data
- And much more!
Who’s It Not For?
- For people who don’t have anything, they wouldn’t want to share or get leaked.
- People who don’t mind having their data and information tracked.
- People who don’t have something to hide that’s really important.
Pros And Cons
- Security first focused so you don't ever have to worry about your data being compromised which means you'll be able to surf anything you like 24/7 without being tracked and hacked.
- Perfect Forward Secrecy so you will never have your encryption traffic captured and decrypted later, even if an encryption key gets compromised in the future which means you'll always remain anonymous no matter what and where you're trying to hide.
- No-log policy so you can have freedom of surfing the internet without being tracked and recorded which means you don't have to worry about having your information disclosed to third party services.
- Tor Over VPN so you can have full access to the tor anonymity network within a single click which means you'll be able to route ALL your traffic through the Tor network and access Onion sites because of this!
- FREE VPN so you can try before you want to upgrade to the greater features which means you'll be able to know if ProtonVPN is the right fit for you without feeling and being pressured to upgrade with a trial.
- Limited device compatibility
- Limited torrenting available
- Sever speeds are too slow for the price
I gotta be as transparent with you and I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t show you the Proton VPN alternatives, so here they are:
- Pure VPN
My favorite of them all and the one I use on a regular basis is Pure VPN, Why?
You can arm your devices with the BEST internet security there is to keep yourself protected against every threat imaginable. Plus...
I can stream at the highest speeds possible, so you don’t have to worry about throttling, slow speeds, and buffering any more.
These are just a few of the many benefits, and If you’d like to see more, click here to check out Pure VPN
What I Liked Most About Proton VPN
Mind if I leave you with a list of my favorites parts?
- Secure core so you can have your connection protected by having your traffic routed through multiple servers before leaving the ProtonVPN network
- Secure core servers located in hardened data centers of Switzerland, Iceland, and Sweden, which is protected by strong privacy laws, and operated on their own dedicated networks
- Strong encryption so you ONLY get the highest strength encryption there is.
- Forward Security so your traffic cannot be captured and decrypted for later.
- Trusted long track record in security
- Physical security
- DNS Leak prevention
- Unlimited Bandwidth
What I Liked Least
There’s not really a lot to say here, I believe ProtonVPN is a great network you can count on at all times to browse the internet without getting anything tracked back to you. I will say this though…
I’ve had far more experience with other VPN services, especially PureVPN, so that’s just a matter of my preference.
Final Verdict: Is ProtonVPN A REAL Scam?
Definitely not. Proton VPN is legitimate and you can count on them to ALWAYS protect the security of your browsing history and here’s again where they are different…
Unlike other VPN services, ProtonVPN is designed with security as their main focus, drawing upon the lessons they have taken from working with journalists and activists on the field. So what does that tell you?
They have first-hand experience and knowledge of what it’s like for other professionals in their field. This gives ProtonVPN an extreme measure of data and key information so they can take it and make their systems far better than many other VPN services out there.
ProtonVPN will always have your best interest at heart and will do all they can(24/7 around the clock) to ensure your privacy is protected, and if that’s something you are interested in pursuing, then no look no further than ProtonVPN, get started by clicking the button below.